Monday, January 18, 2010

2010 Already?

I need to keep this blog from collecting cobwebs! Well, there's plenty to talk about this time. I had a fine holiday season - my wife and family surprised me with my first HDTV and Blu-ray player, and we spent a few days after Christmas in Williamsburg, VA, one of our favorite vacation spots. Oh yeah, and Son #2 got engaged! They're planning a September wedding.

Most recently, though, I attended the 17th Annual Winter Poetry and Prose Getaway in Cape May, NJ, three days of intensive workshops, special events, and assorted fun at the Grand Hotel in Cape May, all organized by the estimable Peter Murphy. I only attended once before, in 2003, so I felt I was overdue to return. The drawing card for me this year was that poet Mark Doty was a featured guest and also was leading two workshops. I just missed getting in (2nd on the waiting list) but I did get into a workshop with Pulitzer Prize-winning poet Stephen Dunn. It was an excellent experience, as were the workshops with James Richardson and Catherine ("Cat") Doty (a very distant relation to Mark, I learned). I got to hang with poetic friends and acquaintances, and made some new friends too (shout-out especially to Christine), and got a few decent poems to bring home as well. Even the open mic readings were a higher caliber than your average bookstore/coffee bar event. It's just great to immerse yourself in an environment of like-minded creative people for a few days. Oh yes, and I did get to meet Mr. Doty - a real thrill for me. Tomorrow: back to the real world.

In other poetry news, I have a couple of online publications this month: two poems appear in the new issue of Fox Chase Review, and five of my "Holy Tango" poems (see previous posts) appear in the new issue of Sunken Lines.

Music: Not much to report this time - looking forward to getting and listening to new albums by Spoon and Vampire Weekend.

Poem of the Month: Let's call it what it is, all right? This one is just for fun and was inspired by a writing prompt from the Poetic Asides blog:


I Thinks Therefore I Yam What I Yam

I’m havin’ doubts about meself, Doc.
Foist, I seems to have a thing for skinny goils,
I mean Olive looks anor-ex-kic, don’t she?
An’ Bluto – why is he always pickin’ a fight?
Maybe he’s just got anger issues.
I worries ‘bout Swee’Pea –
I mean, who’s his real father?
An’ sometimes I feels real stingy –
I should lends Wimpy some money
fer that hamboiger.

I gotta do somethin’ about these
over-developed forearms,
an’ maybe I needs glasses
to gets rid o’ this squint,
an’ some cos-mextic soigery
to reduce me chin.
I gotta gives up smokin’,
and y know, I’ve been outta
the Navy fer years;
it’s time to ditch the sailor suit.
This cravin’ for spinach –
maybe I just gots an iron defish-cancy.
An’ someday I gotta do somethin’
about me speech impeg-iment.

What’s that? You think I’m right?
I’m showin’ insight an’ great progress?
Well, blow me down!



1 comment:

S.L. Corsua said...

It's a Popeye poem, all right. So much fun to read. I've never 'read' Popeye before, just heard him talk and oh, I remember his laugh! ""A-gah-gah-gah-gah-gah-gah!" ;)

Cheers.