Monday, April 30, 2018

PAD Day 30: Closing Time, or Napoleon Attacked by Rabbits

Today's dual prompts from Poetic Asides and NaPoWriMo: (1) write a "closing time" poem, and (2) write a poem based on, or engaging with some weird fact or bit of trivia.

I didn't combine the prompts today. I wrote my valedictory poem for Poetic Asides early in the day, a sort of haiku:


At the Poet's Bar

last call
time to finish up
your final draft


For NaPoWriMo, I looked up a link they provided of weird history facts, and I couldn't get one of them out of my mind for the amusing and surreal images it conjured: an actual incident where the emperor Napoleon was attacked by a horde of rabbits. I got a little more background on it and wrote this rhyming couplet light verse:


Napoleon Attacked by Rabbits

There are still some, I think, who revere Bonaparte,
a man whom they think transformed conquest to art.
And yet, unstoppable as he might have been,
there was at least one battle that he couldn't win.

In 1807 a treaty was signed
which put some troubles with Russia behind.
To celebrate, the emperor proposed a stunt,
a huge après-déjeuner wild rabbit hunt.
His aide Berthier organized the event
and with dozens of cages dutifully went
to gather up bunnies to release right on cue,
so hunters could look forward to some rabbit stew.

But after lunch, when set free, instead of retreating,
the long-eared critters were hell-bent on meeting
Napoleon on their own field of battle,
and their onslaught was more than enough to rattle
the grand homme as they hopped right up his pants
and nipped at his heels, which caused him to dance
and shoo them away, a mad hordes of hares,
hundreds, nay, thousands, not as deadly as bears,
but still quite disarming, which caused him to flee
to his carriage, defeated, and still the sortie
would continue -  some even jumped at his wheels
and forced the great emperor to turn on his heels.

They say that Mssr. Berthier's fatal error
which caused Bonaparte and his guests so much terror,
was rounding up not a flock of hares from the wild,
but domestic farm bunnies, who are normally mild,
unless starved in their cages, then released in a bunch -
they saw Bonaparte as the man with their lunch!
I imagine that scene that embarrassed the crown
was not so much Waterloo, as Watership Down.


So that's it for April! Thanks once again for Robert Lee Brewer of Poetic Asides and Maureen Thorson of NaPoWriMo for providing thirty days of inspiration once again. I'll wrap it up tomorrow or so with a summary of my month of writing.



1 comment:

Shannon Blood said...

I had no idea about the bunnies and Napolean -- and as I was reading it, my mind also jumped to Watership Down. Well done!