Monday, April 15, 2024

PAD Day 15: A Fishy Triolet

 I'm finally caught up with the daily prompts after losing some ground this past weekend. It involved a long road trip that took a whole day of driving each way and only one whole day at our destination. But it was worth it: We visited our former international student, a young lady fron Taiwan who attended high school here in the U.S. for two years while we hosted her in our home. Unfortunately, the COVID pandemic struck at the end of her senior year, and she had to return home where she finished and graduated remotely. She returned in 2021, though, to attend Jacobs School of Music at Indiana University. She is an incredibly talented flute player, and we went out to see her perform her senior recital, which is required for her bachelor's degree. She was incredible, playing a program of modern and contemporary music with a piano accompanist, and she was very glad to see us for the first time in about a year and a half. She will continue her education here next year, pursuing a master's degree at either Jacobs or Northwestern University. We are very proud of her.

Anyway, here are today's prompts:
WBP: Write a "middle" poem.
PSH: "Write a serious triolet poem then substitute a nonsense made-up word in each line to form a nonsense poem. You should pay attention to the sound of the made-up words to evoke a mood." (Eric Nicholson)
NPWM: "...take a look at @StampsBot, and become inspired by the wide, wonderful, and sometimes wacky world of postage stamps.... And if you’re not on or able to access the @StampsBot account, fear not! You may find an inspiring stamp or two by perusing the online “International Philately” (say that three times fast) exhibit from the National Postal Museum."

I went a little off-prompt today. First, my triolet is already a little more silly than serious, so I don't think adding nonsense words would really improve it. Also, I didn't follow the Write Better poetry prompt at all. I may return later to write another triolet to better fit those prompts. Meanwhile, here is my stamp triolet with a picture of the subject. (I got it, not from the sites that Maureen suggested, but from another one called Mintageworld.com.)

Fishy Mail
 
The Faroe Islands cod skin stamp
is made from dried scales of a fish.
Philatelists and my old Gramp
love Faroe Islands’ cod skin stamp.
But I would ask: If it got damp,
would it grow a new cod? I wish!
The Faroe Islands cod skin stamp
is made from dried scales of a fish.





2 comments:

Vince Gotera said...

Great triolet. You didn't alter the refrains hardly. I'm always tempted to do that.

Bruce Niedt said...

I like to alter them too, but this poem somehow didn't give me that much leeway.