Tuesday, April 22, 2014

PAD Day 22: An Optimistic/Pessimistic Nursery Rhyme

Today's dual prompts from Poetic Asides and NaPoWriMo: (1) Write an optimistic and/or pessimistic poem, and (2) write a nursery rhyme. As I do sometimes with Robert Brewer's "Two for Tuesday" prompts, I combined both options into one poem. As far as the "nursery rhyme" goes, this one owes more to Shel Silverstein than to Mother Goose:


Ursula Upp and Dahlia Downn

This is the story of Ursula Upp,
who always regarded the drink in her cup
and said, “It’s half-full! Oh, can’t you all see?
There’s plenty to drink left in this cup for me!
I look on the bright side, and that’s no baloney!
When I see road apples, I look for the pony!
It’s a wonderful day - I don’t mind the rain –
I’ve got nothing to lose and a whole lot to gain!”

This is the story of Dahlia Downn,
who approached everything in life with a frown.
“My cup is half-empty – it’s never enough.
If you ask how my day was, I’ll say it was rough.
When I get a cold, I think it’s pneumonia;
I have a brown thumb and I killed my begonia.
Each day’s disappointing and life is a drudge –
and don’t try to cheer me, ‘cos I just won’t budge!”

That’s Ursula Upp and Dahlia Downn -
there weren’t two more different girls in our town.
But soon they grew up and they married their misters,
and no one could guess that they really were sisters!

No comments: