Sunday, April 20, 2014

PAD Day 20: A Poem About Family

Happy Easter!  Today's dual prompts from Poetic Asides and NaPoWriMo coincided rather nicely.  Both suggested writing a "family" poem, but NaPoWriMo suggested writing one from the point of view of another family member.  Those of you who know me well can probably figure out who this is about.

Easter

I watch my five-year old scurry
around the lawn, basket in hand,
competing with the other kids
to find the most eggs. 

I want to tell him, "Look over here!
By this bush!  By the playground swing!"
because I have the best vantage point.
But I can't intervene.

I lost my chance last year,
because of one too many bad choices. 
If I could only get that day back,
I'd do it differently,  still be here today.

If I could only will myself to be the wind,
I could gently push him in the right direction,
help him take a different path,
help him find everything he wants.

No comments: