Monday, April 15, 2019

PAD Day 15: The First President on the 45th

Today's dual prompts from Poetic Asides and NaPoWriMo: (1) Write a "prediction" poem, and (2) write a "dramatic monologue" poem. I interpreted "dramatic monologue" as a sort of "persona" poem, which I have enjoyed writing a number of times. This one may be more prose than poetry, and the "prediction" comes at the end of this piece. I hope the Father of Our Country hasn't been overly optimistic. (P.S.: I also used a previous word bank from the Sunday Whirl blog, one that was unusually politically loaded for them. The words were refer, sing, liar, public, ugly, try, compromised, proof, guilt, despicable, trump, tyranny.)



Washington on Mt. Vernon and Other Things

I have been told that a man who refers to himself
as one of the greatest presidents of these United States
thinks me foolish for not naming my homestead
or my other properties after myself.
This man never misses a chance to sing
his own praises, and burns his brand
on everything he owns, no matter its merits.
It is ironic that I had a reputation for truth and integrity,
while even his own allies know him for a liar.
I will admit, my public persona was idealized,
but I always believed in the strength of our union,
and I knew it would be stronger if I was not its leader for life.
I fought in a war against oppression,
so in my office I had no desire to embrace a kingship,
unlike the ugly, petty man who holds it now.
But citizens, take heart:  I predict that you will rise
above these trying times and repair all we have built
that he has compromised, and that proof of his guilt
and despicable behavior will be his downfall,
because democracy trumps tyranny every time.

1 comment:

Vince Gotera said...

Wonderful, Bruce. Congrats.