Sunday, November 17, 2019

PAD Chapbook Challenge Day 17

Today's prompt from Poetic Asides: Write a "health" poem. Once again I also used this week's Sunday Whirl word bank for today's poem. The words were: dawn, bring, imminent, rhythm, branches, mince, crack, till, light, single, lick, inner.


Old Oak

Dawn has barely passed to breakfast time
when my neighbor decides to bring down
his tree, a fifty-foot oak in his back yard.
It is sick, he says, brittle and dying,
and an imminent danger to his house,
so he hires tree guys to help him cut it down.

All day I hear the rhythm and crescendo-decrescendo
of those loud, growling instruments, their chain saws;
the clattering, grinding racket of their chipper,
reducing branches to minced-up mulch;
and the occasional crack of a bough or branch
cut mostly through,  splitting and hastening its own
demise, a thump to the ground.  They work
till twilight, and break it all down in a single day.

I, on the other hand, haven't done a lick of work today.
I think I have the flu. My inner hypochondriac, however,
thinks it could be more serious. After all,
it's already November, I've been trimmed and pruned
a few times myself, and I wonder how long it will be
before someone comes to turn me to mulch,
leaving nothing but a stump as my legacy.

No comments: