Tuesday, November 12, 2019

PAD Chapbook Challenge Days 4-6

Catching up with my poem-a-day products, here are the poems I wrote for days 4 to 6 and the prompts from the Poetic Asides blog that inspired them:

[Day 4: A poem with the title "Night _______"]

Nightswimming (Deserves a Quiet Night)

Michael, you look back in your rearview
at an old photo, at passions, secrets and regrets
and memories that change with you.

As for me, I never skinnydipped,
but there was this evening on the beach
with a girl I'd met in bright sunshine
at a sand castle just hours before.

Here we were, after tramping the boardwalk
and sharing a Chinese dinner,
holding hands in the surf, watching nightbirds
skim the water for food.

We promised to write, and we did a few times,
and though it was centuries ago,
that moment burns like a photo in my brain,

and I see it again when I walk to the shoreline
tonight, under an almost-full moon.

My bare feet suck into the wet sand,
and white foam washes over them,
then pulls away into the dark water.



[Day 5: Write a "pleasure" and/or "displeasure" poem]
[This poem also used the word bank from the Sunday Whirl blog's recent word bank - the words provided were crisis, probe, card, silence, lies, disgust, cover, up, sully, hearings, fraught, resign.]


Burnout

I am tired of the crises
I am tired of the probes,
I am tired of the house of cards
and charlatans in robes.

I am tired of the silence,
I am tired of the lies,
I'm disgusted by corruption
though it's really no surprise.

I am tired of the cover-ups,
the deals behind closed doors
that sully our democracy
and get us into wars.

I am tired of the hearings
and the partisan tirades,
so fraught with animosity
that all decorum fades.

I'm venting my displeasure
at those who would malign
the bedrock we were founded on -
I wish they'd all resign.



[Day 6: Write an "opening" poem]

The Escape

we caught
the cat
in a carrier,
latched its door
after flushing her
with a broom
from under the bed

she'd been adopted
from the wild
by our friend
who was moving now
and couldn't physically
corral the rascal,
a feisty black cat
with one eye

so we helped
and thought the latch
was secure
till we got to the back porch
and she suddenly threw
her weight against
the front of the carrier
thrusting it down
popping the latch

darting through
the cat door flap
and through the back yard
a shadowy blur -
just like that she was gone

No comments: