Wednesday, April 13, 2022

PAD Day 13: Have an Amazing Day!

First, I want to share a very short poem unrelated to today's prompts. This was inspired by my friend Vince Gotera's "kimo" poem about the fact that the once-ubiquitous K-Mart department store chain has now been reduced to just three stores nationwide. You can read his poem, and many other excellent ones he has written this month, here.) My poem is in a form created just for fun by Robert Lee Brewer, which is inspired by the current Wordle word game craze, and which he calls "Wordy 30." Basically, you write a poem that consists of only thirty letters, but all the words must be the same length. The classic "Wordle" format would be six five-letter words, but you can do five six-letter words, ten three-letter words, etc. Here is mine:

Extinction

K-Mart
lives -
three
shops,
dying
dodos.

Todays' dual prompts from NaPoWriMo and Write Better Poetry: (1) Write a poem about "Everything is Going to Be Amazing", and (2) write a poem entitled "How To __________."  So here's my take on those prompts. (With again, a nod to the endangered K-Marts.)


How to Know Today Will Be AMAZING
 
When you got up this morning,
you were not on fire,
like hundreds of acres in California.
 
You were not running for your life 
with your children, like a Ukrainian refugee.

You were not on a ventilator,
like your neighbor, the anti-vaxer.
 
You were not going extinct,
like polar bears, honeybees and K-Marts.
 
You had not been beaten up
for being black, gay, Asian, Jewish, etc.
 
You had not ended up
on the wrong end of a ghost-gun.
 
When you got up this morning,
you were capable of doing something,
even if only a little, about any of the above.
And to make today amazing, you will.


5 comments:

Jenna said...

Good write. Nice to see you are participating again this year; I recognize your name!

Vince Gotera said...

Bruce: that Wordie 30 form looks like a fun one. I'll have to try it. It would be cool if the letters could be inside little squares.

Love the tone of the Amazing poem. You're getting a lot of good ones this month!

Vince Gotera said...

Oops. I meant to add, thanks for your shout-out to me. Gotta try some more kimos, need the "frozen image" vibe.

Vince Gotera said...

I just looked at Brewer's new form and it's spelled "WORDY 30" ... maybe to get the first word in the title to be 5 letters? Or not to make it look too much like "Wordle"?

Vince Gotera said...

Bruce, back again. I did a Wordy for my poem today. Thanks for the inspiration. I mentioned you in my blog.