Saturday, April 11, 2020

PAD Day 11: The Language of Flowers

Today's prompts from Poetic Asides and NaPoWriMo: (1)Write a "control" poem, and (2) write a poem based on the "language of flowers". The latter refers to a glossary, from Victorian times, of many kinds of flowers and plants and what kind of sentiment, characteristic, or message each of them conveyed when sent to another person. It's quite long, and one publication of it can be found here:
I decided to take a number of "negative" qualities and messages from the list and work them into the following politically satirical verse. (Note: Before anyone gets bent out of shape, I don't say which president is the subject of this poem - you can draw your own conclusions.)


Say it with Flowers

They request a bouquet for the President.
What arrangement? I must decide.
I'll start with an amaryllis,
a symbol of his pride.

For his boasting, perhaps some hydrangea;
some lavender for distrust,
and xanthium for his rudeness,
his treatment of others unjust.

Barberry for his sour temper,
for falsehoods, a  yellow lily;
For his foolishness, a pomegranate,
his errors both shocking and silly.

St. Johns wort for animosity,
for disdain, some yellow carnation,
flowering laurel for being untrustworthy,
and for what he has done to our nation.

Misanthropy earns him some wolfs bane,
and lettuce for being cold-hearted.
For his hatred, I'll finish with basil,
though I feel that I've barely started.

In the center, a Venus flytrap,
a giant one for his deceit.
He's thinks that he's the one in control?
Just wait till it's time to eat.

From my little shop to you, sir,
Oh, you will be in for a treat.
I'm Seymour, the flytrap's named Audrey,
and to her I say, "Bon Appetit"!


No comments: