Tuesday, April 28, 2020

PAD Day 28: Storm Clouds

Today's prompts from Poetic Asides and NaPoWriMo: (1) Write a "looking back" and/or "looking forward" poem, and (2) inspired by a brief reminiscence by Emily Dickinson's niece of visiting her aunt's bedroom: describe a bedroom from your past. These two prompts mesh almost perfectly, and though I've written about my favorite childhood bedroom in the past, I thought I'd visit it again with a new poem:


Weatherman

I'm sitting in my bedroom at twelve.
My parents have just redecorated the room
for my birthday, a more mature look.
White painted furniture includes a new desk;
nautical flags and sailing ships grace the wallpaper.

But my pride and joy is the other birthday present -
a junior weather station just outside my window.
I've always loved science, and think of myself
as a budding meteorologist. The anemometer spins,
catching the wind in its pinwheel  cups.
The hygrometer tells me the humidity in the air
with a simple calculation. The max-min thermometer 
registers highs and lows, and the barometer
is the oracle, predicting incoming weather
with the augury of air pressure - a downward tick
in the needle today means rain is on the way.

I document everything in a red notebook
on my bright white desk, but soon something else
will take over these pages - random musings
and thoughts set to poetry, as I begin
to chart the storms of adolescence.


1 comment:

Vince Gotera said...

Very nice. A portrait of the poet as a young weatherman!