Friday, April 24, 2020

PAD Day 24: Impostor Fruit

Today's prompts from Poetic Asides and NaPoWriMo: (1) Write a "nature" poem, and (2) write a poem about a particular fruit, decribing it as closely as possible. Well, one of my most "popular" poems (if I can say that), is "How to Peel an Orange", the first important publication of this phase of my poetic life, back in 2000, and the basis for the name of this blog. So I decided to take a slightly different tack here, focusing on a plant that has a fruit which is not normally eaten. Its wildness provides the response to the "nature" prompt. For a really great poem about fruit and nature, though, may I refer you to Seamus Heaney's poem "Blackberry-picking". Anyway, here is mine, in the form of a tanka series:



Mock Strawberry

trefoil toothy leaves
on vines invading my lawn,
tiny buds of red -

you look like miniatures
of my most favorite fruit

your berries don't hang
but poke up, giving away
your identity

and you, creeping impostor,
have yellow, not white, flowers

I just Googled you -
your fruit isn't poisonous
but it has no taste

thus rendering you useless -
demoted to common weed

still there is something
cheerful about you this spring
the pops of color

I hesitate to pull you
and in the end, leave you be.



2 comments:

Pat said...

Like your poem, but here they have a taste. Very fresh.

https://soulfluff.wordpress.com/2020/04/24/a-lemon/

Vince Gotera said...

Cool poem. Didn't know about mock strawberry! Thanks.