Sunday, April 21, 2024

PAD Day 21: Romance on a Boat


Today's prompts:
WBP: "For today's prompt, write a trope poem. For most people, tropes are common plot devices used in certain genres. In romance, for example, the "different worlds" trope brings together two characters from different walks of life and/or cultures...."
NPWM: "...write a poem that repeats or focuses on a single color. "
PSH: "
First, write a 17-syllable American sentence, as per Allen Ginsberg’s definition.... Then, write down each word of the sentence in order vertically, like an acrostic but with words instead of letters. They will become the first word in each line of a poem.... Extra credit! Add/layer another form on top of it, like a sonnet (if your American sentence is 14 words) or a golden shovel...." (Jim Karetnick)   

An "American Sentence" is simply like a one-line haiku, except it can be about any subject and should form a complete sentence. I already employed the methods of prompts two and three in my Day 14 poem, "Anaphoric One-Line Haiku on Mary Cassatt’s The Boating Party." I focused on the color blue (prevalent in the painting), and I wrote a series of one-line haiku to describe the painting. So I decided to pick the first line as my "American Sentence," even though it's debatable whether it's actually a complete sentence: "blue as the river, choppy on a bright spring day - mind your hat, Madam." It also happens to be exactly fourteen words, so I can take up the "extra credit" challenge and try to turn it into a sonnet. As to the first prompt, the poem itself will reveal the "trope."

Le Tour
 
Blue was her mood when she climbed on his boat,
as blue as April sky. Pierre cast off
the rope. She took ten francs from her blue coat.
 
“River’s not good today,” he said. It’s rough,
choppy.”
                        “I don’t care,” she said. “Please take me
on a city tour. The Seine, its bridges,
a glimpse of Notre Dame. I want to see
bright lights tonight, I want to see the pledges
spring has made with Paris.” So they sailed all
day. She said her name was Jeanne. She did not
mind he kept her company till night would fall.
 
“Your manner is refined,” he said. “Store-bought
hat, fur coat…. I’m a simple fisherman.
Madame, Je t'aime.” And then she touched his hand.


Obviously, I used the old romance novel trope of "lovers from different worlds." The story is inspired, again, by the Cassatt painting, but without the baby. (Maybe that came later.)
I did change "river" to "river's" and "Madam" to "Madame" for the acrostic words, but since those words were also originally mine, I guess that gives me license to do so. 
Also I paid service to the second prompt by mentioning the color blue (again) three times in the first three lines. I broke up the lines to set off the dialog for effect. I know the meter could use some tightening, but I'll work on that later. 
               

No comments: