Wednesday, April 3, 2024

PAD Day 3: The Fab Four as Pineapples

 From here on out, at least for purposes of the prompts, I will refer to Write Better Poetry as WBP, Poetry Super Highway as PSH, anbd NaPoWriMo as NPWM. Today's prompts:

WBP:
For today's prompt, pick a musical act or artist and either make that the title of your poem or incorporate into the title of your poem; then, write your poem.

NPWM:
write a surreal prose poem.
 
PSH:
“Here is an outline for a sonnet. Don’t worry about rhyme or meter, or following the rules….
On line one, write about the inner life of a pineapple.
Line two: a fact about your hometown.
Line three: something that comes in threes.
Line four: where were you last night?
Lines five through eight: two animals meet somewhere unusual.
Lines nine through ten: a wish someone has for the pineapple.
Lines eleven and twelve: what did you wish for when you were eight?
Lines thirteen and fourteen: must incorporate one of the following words – hullaballoo, ragamuffin, hooferaw, scoundrelous, or cacophony – and discuss a secret, something hidden, or something no one else knows.”
 

As you can see, the PSH prompt, courtesy of poet John Reinhart, is a pretty wild one. But I did have fun with it, creating a 14-line prose poem that fits the definition of "sonnet" in only the very loosest of ways. (Aso, I adapted the prompts to the third person.) Its subject is my favorite band of all time, and one of my favorite fruits of all time. Aand it certainly has an element of surrealism.


Beatles Day Trippin’, or Liverpudlians in the Sky with Dole
(A Psychedelic Prose Sonnet)
 
John imagines himself a pineapple, sweet and juicy inside but spiny of skin,
strolling the streets of his major seaport hometown wearing spiky pineapple hair.
“A pineapple suits me,” he says, “better than a jacket, waistcoat and trousers.”
Paul turns on the telly. “Look, a cooking show. They’re putting your cousin in a trifle!”
But George changes the channel to a nature show about a fox who marries a chicken.
They go shopping together, avoiding the poultry aisle,
and browse the produce, perusing the rocket and aubergines.
“I would die for an ear of corn!” cries the chicken.
“I would kill for a juicy sliced ring of pineapple,” says the fox, knife in hand.
“It’s a horror movie!" John shouts. "Turn it off!”
“If I couldn’t be a pineapple,” says Ringo, “I’d be an astronaut.
If I could be a pineapple, I’d be the first one on the Moon!”
But then George Martin barks, “Stop all this hullabaloo and let's get to work!”
Sadly, none of this makes it onto Sergeant Pepper.

 

 

 


2 comments:

Maria L. Berg said...

I'm glad I posted today's poem on the PAD Challenge site and found yours. I used three prompts today too, but my third was from a podcast called Poetry Non-stop. Thank you for making me aware of the daily prompts at Poetry Super Highway, I'll add it to my poetry resources. I enjoyed your poem. It was fun. If you haven't had a chance to read my poem, here's the link https://experiencewriting.com/2024/04/03/poetry-as-carrying/

Vince Gotera said...

Bruce, what a fun surreal poem! I think it captures the Beatles' personalities.