Friday, April 9, 2021

PAD Challenge Day 9: An Old Car's Agenda

 First of all, let me thank Maureen Thorson of NaPoWriMo for featuring my blog and my poem from yesterday on her site. It was a very personal poem for me, and I appreciate it being honored in such a way. Thanks, Maureen!

Today's prompts from Write Better Poetry and NaPoWriMo: (1) Write a persona poem from the point of view of an inanimate object, and (2) make a to-do list of an unusual person or character. These two prompts seem to fit together perfectly, so here goes. This was partly inspired by the fact that I currrently own three cars with a combined mileage of about 500,000 miles. 

Old Car's To-do List
 
1. Take at least three cranks before I turn over this morning.
2. Cough a plume of gray smoke upon starting.
3. Lurch out of the driveway, and hesitate a bit when put in drive
(to make him think my trans needs service).
4. If it's raining, streak the windshield with worn-out wipers,
and fishtail a bit to remind him I need new tires.
5. Frustrate him when he forgets my CD player no longer works.
6. Squeak my brakes at random times.
7. Let him stow his groceries in my trunk, but take at least
two tries for my latch to catch.
8. Roll my odometer over to 130,000 - milestone, baby!
9. New glitch: my right turn signal doesn't work.
10. Stall at a stop sign halfway home.
11. Let him regard my fading paint job.
12. Remind him that he's not quite ready to afford a new car.
13. Nudge him to create a metaphor of me as his aging body,
and help him write the poem.


3 comments:

Vince Gotera said...

Bruce: hilarious poem. Alas, only too true with old cars. I have a newish one now but still have the old one, which I loaned out to one of my daughters. I'm hoping it holds out with costing me too much in repairs!

Vince Gotera said...

Oops. That was supposed to be "without costing me too much in repairs."

Manja Mexi said...

Excellent. May I add one? 14. Pour rainwater over her feet at every turn. :D It really happened with my first car, Peugeot 404. Ohh, one more. 15. Don't tell her that at the last check I heard them talk how you shouldn't use the handbrake all that much. Much fun with all three of them. :)