Wednesday, April 7, 2021

PAD Challenge Day 7: Fibs and Shadormas

 Today's prompts from Write Better Poetry and NaPoWriMo: (1) Write a "villain" poem, and (2) write a "Fib" (or "Fibonacci") poem, and/or a "shadorma." Both are syllable-count forms - the Fib is based on Fibonacci numbers (a series of numbers in which each successive number is the some of the two previous numbers in the series, that is, 1,1,2,3,5,8, etc.) This pattern often occurs naturally in nature and can be seen in living things from sunflowers to the nautilus shell. The shadorma is allegedly of Spanish origin (though it may be a recent anonymously invented form) that contains six lines with the syllable count of 3,5,3,3,7,5. You can also string them togather as stanzas. 

I've written poems in these forms before. I wrote a couple of "baseball shadormas" that were published in my chapbook Hits and Sacrifices, and I had a Fibonacci poem published in the online journal The Fib Review. (Yes, there is actually a journal dedicated to them.) You can read it here.

Here's my poem that combines both prompts. Maureen Thorson said that the fib goes up to eight-syllable lines, but I've written them with even longer lines - 13, 21, etc. - which I believe is also acceptable. This one goes to thirteen. (I sound like Nigel in This is Spinal Tap: "These go to eleven!")

Despot
 
HE
snaps
fingers
half the world
ceases to exist
wielding unlimited power
all because of a metal fist encrusted with gems
but the people band together
wrest his iron hand
vanquished, (he)
becomes
just
dust


And here are two shadormas. I thought I'd try a rhyme scheme for the first one, rhyming the lines with the same number of syllables and including both rhymes in the seven-syllable line. So it's 
A,B,A,A,A-B,B.

Weekend Warrior

Lawn mower -
get the yard gear out.
Leaf blower,
seed sower -  
They're slower - your green's got clout -
Let your neighbors pout!


Here is a shadorma series, the second time this week my local fox makes an appearance in my poetry:

Backyard Fox
 
not common
in my neighborhood
a red fox
lopes across
my neatly-trimmed lawn, squeezes
under the back fence
 
bushy tail                   
wags at me as he
heads home to
his warren
an undisclosed location
several yards away
 
nature comes
occasionally
to my home
to visit -
possum, squirrel, skunk, turkey,
one morning, three deer
 
but who is
the trespasser here?
I will watch
from windows
treasuring coexistence
with quiet wonder
 


1 comment:

Vince Gotera said...

Bruce: great job! I like the "bell curve" Fib (that's what Robert Lee Brewer calls it). And rhymed shadormas, holy crap. You rock, dude.