Monday, November 16, 2020

November Chapbook Challenge Day 16: Mrs. Williams Answers the Note

 Today's prompt from Robert Lee Brewer: Write a "response" poem. I chose to "respond" to William Carlos Williams' "This is Just to Say", his famous short poem written as a note to his wife about eating the plums in the refrigeator: 

This is Just to Say

I have eaten
the plums
that were in 
the icebox

and which 
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet 
and so cold


I've riffed on and parodied this poem several times over the years, just because I love its simplicity so much. But I don't think I ever wrote a "response" to it, and I thought one in the voice of Mrs. Williams might be fun, using the short form I've been employing all month.

This is Just to Answer Your Note

I
was saving
those sweet plums
 
to
make you
a fruit tart
 
but
you ate
every last one
 
yet
somehow I
love you anyway
 
incidentally, no one
says "icebox" anymore

No comments: