Sunday, November 29, 2020

November Chapbook Challenge Day 29: Happy Holidays?

So many medical experts are saying that our behavior this Thanksgiving weekend - not staying home, traveling to visit loved ones in the middle of a worsening pandemic, and the occasional careless party - will drive up COVID cases just before Christmas, and put many hospitals in jeopardy of being overwhelmed, perhaps even worse than last spring. It's frankly depressing, and it's no wonder all this news has impacted my poetry this year. I thought I'd gotten it out of my system in April when I wrote at least twenty poems related to the pandemic (and I even published a chapbook of them - Aprilcalypse, from Four Feathers Press), but I'm still writing them now in the end of November. 

Anyway, today's prompt from Robert Lee Brewer: Write a poem with the title "Wanting _______".

Wanting a Merry Christmas
 
please
understand that
I love you
 
but
stay away
for the holiday
 
don't
be careless
because it would
 
break
my heart
on Facetime if
 
I see you
in the ICU


No comments: