Friday, April 12, 2019

PAD Day 12: Just an Old T-shirt

Today's dual prompts from Poetic Asides and NaPoWriMo: (1) Write a poem titled "The Art of ______", and (2) write a poem about a dull thing you own, and why you love it. I wrote two poems today on the subject of this particular object, but this is the longer and more successful of the two, I believe - it's in blank verse.


The Art of Losing

The art of losing isn't hard to master...
                                Elizabeth Bishop

My endless catalog: an errant sock,
a birth certificate, a wedding ring -
some trivial and some significant.
I must be careless or disorganized
to lose track of the precious and banal.
But some things simply fade from memory,
and the opposite is true - I hang on
to those that seem of little worth to me
for fear the fog of age will wipe them out
completely. That's why I wear this T-shirt -
Spring Training at the Phillies, Florida,
just seven years ago - my closest friend
and I, a road trip for St. Patrick's Day.
He left by fall; the cancer took him home.
The letters on the shirt are fading out,
and some flaked off, and one arm has a hole,
but wearing it connects me to that spring,
despite the fact that words come harder now,
just like this shirt - with every wash it gets
more difficult to wear, and yes, to read.