Tuesday, April 30, 2019

PAD Day 30: Made it Again!

Yup, today's the last day of the Poem-a-day Challenge. The final dual prompts from Poetic Asides and NaPoWriMo: (1) Write a "stop" and/or "don't stop" poem, and (2) write a "minimalist" poem. After spending a lot of time composing poems especially in the last three days, I appreciate the break that Maureen offers in suggesting a very short poem. She linked to a very interesting essay on the history of minimalist poetry, which you can find here. An extreme example of minimalist poem is one the article cites, written by Adam Saroyan (son of author William Saroyan), considered by some the shortest "poem" ever written: the letter "m" with an extra "hump". (I remember reading Saroyan's work in college.) I thought that I could actually do something minimalist with Robert's Poetic Asides "stop/don't stop" prompt, using a single word:


                                                                        STOP,


...but I won't count that one. Actually, the shortest poem I ever wrote was probably this haiku, published in the online journal tinywords:


dandelions
all over
again


So I'll go with haiku today, and use the more "minimalist" 3-5-3 "American" model for this one:


birdsong stops
for the approaching
thunderstorm


I'll be back soon to summarize my month. Thanks for reading!


No comments: