Sunday, April 14, 2019

PAD Day 14: Those Wacky Homophones

Today's dual prompts from Poetic Asides and NaPoWriMo: (1) Write a poem about a state (or territory, region, etc.), and (2) write a poem using homophones, homgraphs, and/or homonyms.
The second prompt was much harder than it seemed, and all I ended up with was this silly little riff on triple homophones (words that sound alike but are spelled differently).  As far as the Poetic Asides prompt goes, well, the title is a bit of a cheat, but I made up for it with a second even shorter poem:


State of Confusion

"I hate triple homophones!" he cries.
"Even two are too confusing to me.
Holy, wholly, holey cow!
They scramble my brain, so
I can't remember whether to sow or sew,
I'll be unable to tell an aisle from an isle
or you from a ewe or a yew.
Aye Eye I! "

She takes a peek at the peak of his pique
and thinks, "He's a heel, but he'll heal."
She pats his hand:
"There, their, they're."



Maine

There's one main thing you should know about Maine:
not one native animal wears a mane.

2 comments:

Donna Matthews said...

Great - super fun.

Vince Gotera said...

Great, Bruce. Well done.

I think I made mine too difficult!