Sunday, April 21, 2019

PAD Day 21: A Cosmic Sketch

Today's dual prompts from Poetic Asides and NaPoWriMo: (1) Write a "sketch" poem, and (2) write a poem that incorporates wild, surreal images. The key words "sketch" and "surreal" triggered a reminder of one of my favorite songs, "Spinning Away" by Brian Eno and John Cale, which begins as a scene of an artist drawing on a hilltop as night begins to fall, and evolves into a surreal or impressionistic description. Musically and lyrically, it's just a gorgeous song. You can hear it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-INeMspNSQ0

I used a line from the song as an epigraph, and I spun off from it with my own interpretation: I always imagined the singer floating off and spinning into space. If I were an animator, I would have loved to make a video of the song with that theme. Anyway, here's my slightly surreal take on "Spinning Away":


The Artist Celestial

With every single line moving further out in time...
Brian Eno and John Cale, Spinning Away

Sketching the world from a hilltop,
I am the scribe for the end of the day,
but as dark encroaches I cannot tell
where my hand ends and the line begins,
where the stars end and the sky begins,
and the sky pulls me up and out
and stretches me to a sketched-out line
as I watch myself on a hilltop
watching myself in the sky
and the panorama grows, pulling back
and the world holds the apple
and the apple holds the world
and the moon rolls round its orbit like a pinball
and the line pulls me out into a cosmic string
drawing on, and I tumble past the planets,
and my hand becomes a comet streaking
through the gases of the stars,
and I dissipate into cosmic dust, and
the galaxy pinwheels back to the beginning
when everything exploded from nothing
and my hand and my pencil draw it all again.


No comments: