Friday, April 5, 2019

PAD Day 5: Stolen Moments

Today's dual prompts from Poetic Asides and NaPoWriMo: (1) Write a poem about something "stolen", and (2) write a villanelle. Actually, the NaPoWriMo prompt is a three-part one that would have been rather challenging, especially with the limited time I had today, so I decided just to use the first part of the prompt. So here is my "stolen villanelle". (For some reason, I prefer to write them in iambic tetrameter rather than pentameter.)


Thief of Time

I stole a moment, then stole two,
a petty bit of larceny.
I promise they'll come back to you.

I had so many things to do;
instead I chose to shake them free.
I stole a moment, then stole two

and maybe more -it may be true
I shirked responsibility.
I swear, I'll make it up to you.

I need to do this to get through
these days of stress and anarchy.
I stole a moment, then stole two,

and soon my time bank would accrue
enough for creativity.
I promise they'll come back to you.

Time management I may eschew,
but I wrote you some poetry.
I stole a moment, then stole two;
I promised they'd come back to you.

2 comments:

Vince Gotera said...

Bruce, that's some solid meter, dude. But villanelles don't have a specified meter, usually, do they?

Bruce Niedt said...

Yeah, I think they do, traditionally, though anything goes in contemporary poetry. "Do Not Go Gentle" and "One Art" are in iambic pentameter, more or less.