Tuesday, April 10, 2012

PAD Challange Day 10

Today's dual prompts from Poetic Asides and NaPoWriMo: (1) Write a poem about a forest and/or trees, (2) Steal a first line from a favorite poem (or a random line from any poem) and write a poem based on it. I "stole" from "The Joy of Writing" by Wislawa Szymborska (just read that poem this morning and loved the opening line), and the blooming trees in my yard this week just had to make it into the poem.


Doe

(after Wislawa Szymborska)

“Why does this written doe bound

through these written woods?”

Because she is Joy, and Spring,

and Innocence, and all the metaphors

we can attach to her graceful form.

Because my yard is filled with trees

early this year in their glory –

pink dogwood, weeping cherry,

a blooming apple like a snowstorm.

Because words are her woods,

protecting and nourishing her,

describing her from wet black nose

to impertinent white tail.

Because she feeds on images –

blossoms or bark or tender new leaves.

Because I found her in my yard

early one morning, and interrupted

her grazing, so she loped back into

the meadow mist and waited

for me to write of her again.

1 comment:

R. Wilder Jr. said...

Ah, very refreshing in its imagery and setting. I myself love nature-watching, so your descriptions of observing the doe hit the nail on the head. Well done.