Saturday, April 28, 2012

PAD Challenge Day 28



Today's prompts from Poetic Asides and NaPoWriMo: (1) Write a poem about a problem, and (2)write a poem about space or spaces, with a focus on a personal experience. I’ve only had one MRI so far in my life, and while it made me uncomfortable, I didn’t have a panic attack like some people have reported. Still, I put myself in the shoes (or hospital booties, if you will) of someone who had such an experience. This villanelle came out sounding somewhat Poe-like, I think.


MRI

We'll find your problem soon, the doctor said,
You'll get an MRI so we can trace
what's wrong with you - it could be in your head.

He told me to lie down upon this bed,
and soon it slid into a tunneled space,
We'll find your problem soon, the doctor said.

Supine, I was enclosed, I felt the dread
creep in on me.  My heart began to race -
What's wrong with me?  It could be in my head.

I was entombed, my lungs felt filled with lead,
my breath was short. You must lie still, in case
we find your problem soon, the doctor said.

A tumor in the brain? My fears were fed -
inside this loud cocoon, they'd find the place
that's wrong with me - it could be in my head.

At last I was exhumed, back from the dead;
Their pictures were the verdict I must face.
We found your problem, son, the doctor said;
There's nothing wrong with you - it's in your head.


No comments: