Wednesday, April 4, 2012

PAD Challenge Day 4

Today's dual prompt from Poetic Asides and NaPoWriMo: (1) Write a poem with the title "100% _____", and (2) write a "blues" poem.

100% Poet Blues

Well, I’m a 100% poet, baby,

I write verses all the time,

Yes, I’m a 100% poet, darlin’,

I’m writin’ verses all the time.

You ask me why I do it –

well, there ain’t no reason or rhyme.


Well, I can write you a sonnet,

haiku, pantoum or villanelle,

Yeah, I’d love to write you a sonnet,

haiku, pantoum or villanelle,

but don’t ask me for a sestina,

‘cos I can’t write them so well.


I love to write about love, y’know,

like Shakespeare and all them guys.

Yes, I love to write about love, babe,

like Browning and all them guys.

So let me write a poem ‘bout you, baby,

an’ I’ll start by describin’ your eyes.


Well, your eyes are a constellation, baby –

that’s what they call a metaphor.

Yeah, your eyes are a constellation,

that’s what they call a metaphor.

I could write a thousand of ‘em for ya,

‘cos that’s what poetry is for.


Well, I’m a 100% poet, baby,

I don’t know if you give a damn,

yes, I’m a 100% poet, baby,

I don’t know if you give a damn,

but if you’re gonna get to know me

you’ll have to take me as iamb.

15 comments:

Adriene Joyce said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Adriene Joyce said...

Hi. I found your blog through the NaPoWriMo site. Great blues poem. My favorite line: "you’ll have to take me as iamb." ;p Nice job!

http://sweepyjean.wordpress.com

Laurie Kolp said...

I love it, Bruce! Congrats on being chosen for blog of the day over at NaPoWriMo!

TraciB said...

Found your blog though NaPoWriMo.net; absolutely brilliant blues poem. That last line pulled a belly laugh right out of me, and the whole thing was so well done I could hear it being sung by an old blues artist, a guy with a guitar and a gravelly voice.

I can see why your blog was the featured one; this is great stuff. :)

Ann Cuthbert said...

Brilliant.

Quillfyre said...

Bruce, love your blues poem including the pun! See you over at PAD!

Carol A. Stephen
aka Quillfyre

Quillfyre said...

Bruce, love your blues poem including the pun! See you over at PAD!

Carol A. Stephen
aka Quillfyre

De Jackson said...

OhMyWORD! This is amazing, Bruce. Loooooove it! ;)

Starr said...

This is fabulous! I found this particular prompt really difficult. You've done it so well!

www.poetonthemove.wordpress.com

Mary Beth said...

to.tally.awe.some.

A said...

This is pure genius.

Anonymous said...

Your a good poet and I'am your one. it nice to have read you. My post is at Typepad

Ivy said...

A modern classic!

Vince Gotera said...

Bruce, excellent poem. SO fun! Found you through NaPoWriMo.net. You really deserved that blog o' the day shout-out.

I'm doing the PAD challenge too with a pen pal. vincegotera.blogspot.com Best of luck!

Kerridwen said...

Found this via Napowrimo.net.. I agree with others, the last line is really funny :)