Wednesday, April 24, 2013

PAD Day 24

Today's dual prompts from Poetic Asides and NaPoWriMo: (1) Write an "auto" poem (to be interpreted as you like), and (2) write an "anagram" poem, particularly one that uses anagrams of your name.  I tried the second prompt a few years ago on the Poetic Asides blog - I wrote an "aragman", an invented form by poet Salvatore Butacci.  I can't locate the rules of the form now, but it seemed to involve anagrams of your name alternating with lines that would help tie them together to make sense.  Here's the "aragman" I wrote back then (all the odd-numbered lines are anagrams of "Bruce Niedt"):


Aragman of a Parallel Life

“Be nice, turd!”
I told myself. “Ditch the
beer – induct
me in sobriety!”
I bent crude
ways to straighten my life.

I dub recent
lapses superfluous.
I’d curb teen-
like urges – only the
tribe dunce
would risk it all for a fling.

“Nicer” debut –
now I won’t squander a
buried cent.
No gambling – and any
bet inducer
I have vowed to resist.

Cuter in bed
now, in my good wife’s eyes.
But nice red
boxers are what gets her
enticed – rub
her back; we both relax.

Burn deceit!


For my "new" poem, I used yesterday's NaPoWriMo prompt to write a triolet and combined it with the "auto" prompt:


Last Repair

I’ve had enough of you, old car.
For many years you carried us
to destinations near and far.
You’ve had enough. Of you, old car,
I’ll say you used to be a star,
but now I’ll need to take the bus.
I’ve had enough of you. Old car,
thanks for the years you carried us.




No comments: