Monday, April 8, 2013

PAD Day 8

First, I just want to send a shout-out to the fine folks at U.S. 1 Worksheets for the release of their 40th anniversary issue of their fine literary journal.  They claim that their writing and critique group, the U.S. 1 Poets Cooperative based in Princeton, NJ, is the longest continuously-running such group in the U.S.  Their annual launch party, which I just attended this past Sunday, is always a great event, and this year their venue was packed.  I read my poem from the 40th anniversary issue, which was a reminiscence on my wedding, which coincidentally was also 40 years ago this July.

Today's double prompt from Poetic Asides and NaPoWriMo: (1) write an "instructional" poem, and (2) write an "ottava rima", which is an Italian form - a mini-sonnet, if you will.  It's eight lines of iambic pentameter with the rhyme scheme ABABABCC.  Here's my attempt:



Accounting for Spring
First, itemize your income, enter here,
then take a walk, admire daffodils.
Then come back in and pour yourself a beer,
and find deductions: mortgage, doctor bills.
Then go back out – the day’s so warm and clear,
forget 1040’s – look at these green hills.
Yes, April is the cruelest month, it’s true,
its beauty peaks when I have taxes due.

No comments: