Saturday, April 6, 2013

PAD Day 6

Today's dual prompts from Poetic Asides and NaPoWriMo, respectively, are (1) write a "post" poem (to be interpreted any way you desire), and (2) write a valedictory poem.  I had a hard time reconciling the two, and "cheated" a little by adding the line about blog post after the fact, so the conneciton is tenuous at best.  Still, I think it's a pretty nice tribute, if I say so myself.



Valediction for Roger

I know it is coming, and I do not fear it, because I believe
there is nothing on the other side of death to fear. - Roger Ebert

In the darkened theater sits a man with a notepad,
ready for the screen to come to light.
If he loves this film, he will gush about it
like a festival fan, and if he doesn't,
he'll skewer it hilariously with his trademarked snark.
It will be in all the papers and posted on his blog.

Soon he realizes that the movie isn't about to begin,
it's already ended.  The usher comes down the aisle
and politely tells him it's time to go.  He shrugs,
gets up reluctantly, adjusts his corduroy jacket,
and heads for the exit sign. As he opens the door,
he looks behind him and sees a projector beam
cutting the darkness.

Fade to white.

No comments: