Saturday, April 4, 2015

PAD Challenge Day 4: Sonnet from an Airport

Today's prompts from Poetic Asides and NaPWriMo:
(1) Write a "departure" poem, and
(2) Write a love poem without the word "love" or any of the other cliched verbiage of love poems, or write an "anti-love" poem. This poem didn't quite come out as I expected - for instance, it wanted to make itself a sonnet - and instead of something heartfelt, I imagined the speaker as someone who has a hard time showing his emotions, maybe at the expense of a relationship.  Enough exposition - here's the poem:

Domestic Departures
I swore I wouldn't yield to waterworks
and it’s my fervent hope you feel the same.
Those goodbyes full of bawling look so lame,
how many of them later feel like jerks?
And if you think the sentimental lurks
inside my chest, that there’s a burning flame
of pathos, think again. This is no game –
you’ll find no soft spot underneath my smirks.
So see ya later – have a lovely flight.
We’ll part as friends – too bad it wasn’t more.
And if you feel the need, write now and then.
But as your plane takes off, I think I might
walk past tonight’s arrivals to be sure
that everyone who leaves comes back again.


1 comment:

Vince Gotera said...

Bruce, nice work. I really like the line, "So see ya later – have a lovely flight." That's definitely "loveless"!