Sunday, April 5, 2015

PAD Day 5 Part 2: Another Yam Poem?

I really wanted to write something more contest-worthy after that silly Emily Dickinson thing, so here's my second poem of the day. It just uses the "vegetable" prompt from Poetic Asides for today. The whole idea of yams as a topic arose while I was actually peeling them this morning for Easter dinner. My son was reading me one of his favorite poems, Galway Kinnell's "The Man Splitting Wood in the Daybreak" while I was doing my chore, and I responding half-jokingly that I should write a poem entitled "The Man Peeling Yams on Easter Sunday".  So there you go - sometimes inspiration comes from the oddest places. I took off from Kinnell's title and first line and a half, and went off in my own direction.



1 comment:

Vince Gotera said...

I yam what I yam.

There's a challenge ... a Popeye poem. :-D