Friday, April 3, 2015

PAD Day 3: "Fourteen Machine"

Today's dual prompts from Poetic Asides and NaPoWriMo:
(1) Write a "machine" poem, and
(2) Write a "fourteener": a poem of any length composed of 14-syllable lines, preferably in iambic meter, rhymed or unrhymed. Maureen of NaPoWriMo says this form lends itself well to narrative - it was popular with 16th and 17th century poets writing in a ballad style, but some more (relatively) modern examples are "Casey at the Bat" and the "Gilligan's Island" theme song(!)  Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale... of wishful thinking.


Deus Ex Machina

I want the gods descending on a crane to bear me up
like in Greek tragedies, just when it seemed that all was lost
and certain death, or worse, dishonor, reared their ugly masks.

I want majestic eagles to swoop down and lift me up
securely in their talons, just like those in Middle Earth
who rescued Sam and Frodo from the red slopes of Mt. Doom.

I want a billionaire someday to knock upon my door
and say, “My friend, there’s way too much for me to spend myself,
So take this cash to fix your roof and send your kids to school.”

I want to hit the lottery, an unknown aunt to die
and leave me in her will. I want my dream job falling
in my lap, a fast machine to take me out of here

and land me in a tropic paradise, a margarita
in my hand. I want a happy ending to my story
no one would expect, that I didn’t even have to earn.

1 comment:

Vince Gotera said...

Bruce, very nice. Your line breaks and stanza breaks are so strong, decisive, even the enjambed ones. Great topic! Bravo.