Thursday, April 28, 2022

PAD Day 28: Stuck in Concrete

 Today's dual prompts from NaPoWriMo and Write Better Poetry: (1) Write a "concrete" poem,and (2) write a "sight" poem. Well, concrete poems are, by definition, "sight" poems. Unfortunately, I am notoriously poor at concrete poems. HTML is not my friend. Here's my rather sad attempt at it anyway - it's supposed to be a flat tire. (And in a stroke of serendipity, the hole in the middle of the tire suggests a heart.)

    Road Service
 
                                                                  the
                                                        highway's rough
                                            enough without more hazards,
                                           but lately I can't seem to swerve―
                                      look out for                             what waits
                                     around the                                 curve/my life                                                      has sprung                                a leak today
                                         but I sent an                          APB your way 
                                           'cos you have                   got so  much
                                           in reserve, you're        my straightaway,
                                             you're my Triple-A/when I'm flat and
                                          floundering, you're the light of day, so I wait
                                        at the shoulder, trying not to feel colder, and you
                                     pull me from the snow, home with my heart in tow 









3 comments:

Arti said...

Bruce. I loved this. Simply brilliant. The shape and the words--The best (bestest in fact) love poem I've read all month. Thank you for writing it. I'm saving this one.
Arti.

Bruce Niedt said...

Thanks!

Vince Gotera said...

Bruce, very nicely done. I used the tag to get my concrete poem to work out. Your visual shape Is better than that 'cause it's not symmetrical, and is not tire-d!