Friday, April 8, 2022

Day 8: Spirit Animal

First, I want to bring a new anthology to everyone's attention. The Poet Magazine, a British-based journal, has just published a collection called Poetry for Ukraine, a 300-plus page volume featuring over 250 poets from around the world, writing about the war in Ukraine, or war and peace in general. The book is available directly from them as a PDF, or you can get a paper or Kindle copy through Amazon.com. All profits from the book go to the Ukraine Crisis Relief Fund. I'm proud to be part of this project with a poem on page 84. Here's the link: 

https://www.thepoetmagazine.org/poetry-for-ukraine


Today's dual prompts from Write Better Poetry and NaPoWriMo: (1) Write a "what they never told you" poem, and (2) Write a poem in the voice of a character that you consider your "alter-ego."

I always wondered what my "spirit animal" would be, and recently I took one of those dumb Facebook quizzes, which told me it would be a deer. "Nah," I said. "Too gentle and graceful." I always imagined myself as a bear - lumbering, grumpy, and prone to sleep a lot. Then a few years ago I discovered the wonderful series of children's picture books by Ryan T. Higgins about Bruce, a grumpy black bear who reluctantly adopts a gaggle of geese who hatched in his presence and imprinted on him.  And I thought, "There he is! My spirit animal!" I love the books every bit as much as my grandkids, as Bruce grumbles and complains through one situation after another, but still looks out for his adopted family. So here is my poem in the voice of my alter-ego, Bruce the bear.


Bruce the Bear
 
All I ever wanted was to sleep all winter
and be left alone, but one day
I stole a nest of eggs for dinner,
and four little goslings hatched.
They imprinted on me, called me "Mama,"
followed me everywhere.
I tried to get them to migrate,
but instead they coerced me into
wintering in Florida -
hot, sandy, sunburning Florida.
 
These birds caused me nothing but trouble -
and while we were away, some mice
turned my house into a hotel.
Then worst of all, some young animals
in the forest thought I was Santa Claus,
and I was forced to wear a stupid red suit
and give out presents.
These geese, teenagers now,
turned my life upside-down.
 
But they're my family,
and what no one ever told me
is that even when you're not looking for a family
sometimes one still finds you.
It's amazing how much they change you,
how much you're willing to sacrifice for them,
and how they never really leave you.
They will always be your kids,
no matter how annoying,
and you will defend them any day
with a swipe of your giant paw. 

But I still could use a nice long nap.



5 comments:

Misky said...

Very good!

Elizabeth Boquet said...

Sweet dreams!

Lady In Read said...

Loved this! Especially, 'even when you're not looking for a family/sometimes one still finds you.'
And congratulations on the feature in the book. I will look for it..My day 8 (not this prompt though) is here

Vince Gotera said...

Wonderful poem, Bruce, esp. the closing line, so relatable.

Congrats on the anthology appearance!

Manja Mexi said...

Sweet. :) Honest, bearlike but tender.