Tuesday, April 19, 2022

PAD: The Long COVID Road Trip

 Today's prompts from Write Better Poetry and NaPoWriMo: (1) Write a "what's there" and/or "what's not there" poem, and (2) write a poem that begins with a command. Without getting too personal, I'll just say that the subject of COVID hit home this week, and it spoiled our family's plans for the entire week of Easter vacation. It was a sober reminder that we are still not out of the woods (and this recent court decision lifting mask mandates is, in my opinion, ill-advised.) So I felt compelled to write something about it.

Are We There Yet?
 
No! Stop complaining.
Stop touching your sister.
Stop touching your brother.
Give each other space.
Keep those masks on
and wash your hands.
 
I know it's frustrating―
every time we think
we're almost there,
something or someone adds
more mileage to the trip.
 
I think I finally see
the end of the journey,
but we'll never get there
if you don't listen and keep
whining about your "rights."
 
So behave yourselves,
and don't make me turn this
pandemic right around.


No comments: