Saturday, April 23, 2022

PAD Day 23: Conspiracy Theory

 Today's dual prompts from Write Better Poetry and NaPoWriMo: (1) Write a "conspiracy" poem, and (2) write a poem in the style of Kay Ryan, whose poetry Maureen Thorson of NaPoWriMo describes as "short and snappy – with a lot of rhyme and soundplay. They also have a deceptive simplicity about them, like proverbs or aphorisms." That's pretty much on the money. I do enjoy Ryan's works, and she is a favorite poet of my son (who is also a poet, when he has the time).  It's interesting because one of the Kay Ryan poems the Maureen linked as an example, "Blue China Doorknob," has a bit of a conspiracy theme to it. Anyway, I took my inspiration from my experience doing yard work today, and realizing that the older one gets, the harder it seems to get to do.


The Gravity Plot

 
The Earth conspires
to make things weigh
a little more each year.
This spring I hefted
a 40-pound bag
of Weed and Feed
and it was heavier
than ever before.
My mower, too,
pushes slower
these days,
uphill both ways.
Someone  turned up
the gravity dial, I'm sure.
Soon I won't be able
to lift out of my couch,
but only slouch and sag
like a 200-pound bag.

1 comment:

Vince Gotera said...

Very nicely done. Glad I don't have those duties any more!