Wednesday, April 13, 2022

PAD Day 13 Extra: The Elbow Project

 Here's another in the series of poems I'm writing inspired by the songs and lyrics of the rock band Elbow. This one also responds to today's Write Better Poetry prompt of writing a poem titles "How to _______." I now have about 23 poems (four written this month), which should be almost enough for a chapbook.

How to Die Happy
 
...my sweet trampoline...
―Elbow, "Fly Boy Blue/Lunette"
 
all of this bouncing, this back and this forth
and the layover boredom, I wait with a drink
and a smoke and whatever they have on the idiot box
 (in the old days they would let you  smoke in the bar)
 
but now those two monkeys are climbing my back
the one is bile-green and the other soot-black
and I know if I shake them I'll save my own life
but the pangs are too much like a dull rusty knife
 
so will you be my solace, my rising red moon
when I wake in the morning with a pain in the chest
my sweet trampoline, let me sleep on your breast,
let your mystery kill me, your scar and tattoo
 

1 comment:

Vince Gotera said...

Bruce, such a fascinating project. Have you told Elbow? If you answered this question already from before, I apologize. I'd be interested to hear what they think.

Congrats on getting to 23!