Wednesday, April 12, 2017

PAD Day 12: Felony Alliteration

Today's dual prompts from Poetic Asides and NaPoWriMo: (1) Write a "guilty" poem, and (2) write a poem with alliteration and/or assonance.

I'm no stranger to alliteration, and as Maureen at NaPoWriMo says, it's a great device to tighten and liven your poetry, as long as it isn't overdone. But just for fun, I'm about to overdo it.


Guilty as All Get-out

If there is a poetry prison,
then send me to the slammer,
haul me to the hoosegow,
run me up the river,
clamp me in the clink.
I can't help this utter urge
to collate consonants constantly.
I alliterate literally till late at night,
nattering about nothing other
than sibilant serendipitous sounds,
precise poetic pronunciation.
Even the vowels get involved -
I assent to assonance as well.
I shall not shop without some choices -
better to get Dunkin Donuts
or Krispy Kreme?
Best Buy or Bed, Bath and Beyond?
I will only watch what's worthwhile -
like Batman Begins and Beauty and the Beast,
Duck Dynasty and Charles in Charge.
Anyway, say I'm cray-cray,
strap me in a strait jacket
and lock me in the loony bin,
or rough me up, stuff me in handcuffs,
and stick me in stir.
But as long as you lend me a laptop
or provide me with a proper pen or pencil,
I can continue to collect consonants
with a clear conscience. Capiche?


No comments: