Sunday, April 30, 2017

PAD Day 30: Finish Line!

Wow, I made it again! This is the 10th year I've followed Robert Lee Brewer's Poetic Asides blog for the Poem-a-day Challenge, and the fifth year I've followed Maureen Thorson's NaPoWriMo blog. The two together make for intriguing double prompts, and I want to thank them both for providing inspiration once again throughout the month of April. 

Taking a final count, I find it has been a pretty productive April. Counting today, I have written:
20 free verse poems
7 clerihews
6 haiku
6 limericks
4 general rhymed verse poems
3 sonnets
3 "elevenies"
1 ghazal
1 "skeltonic" verse
1 blank verse (a "bop")
1 prose poem (a fable)
1 "trijan refrain"
That's a grand total of 54 poems in one month. Granted, about 40% of them were "short form", but still, not too shabby, On the other hand, I have a friend who was on a pace to write about 90 this month.

Today's prompts from Poetic Asides and NaPoWriMo are: (1) write a poem with the title "The _______", and (2) write about something that happens “again and again”, with regularity or predictability. Robert's prompt today was a little disappointing, so for additional inspiration, I used the “Wordle” (a word bank of about a dozen words, graphically presented) from this week’s Sunday Whirl blog. The words this week are: run, itch, lace, spiral, chip, settle, sum, life, sing, saints, list, prayer. I managed to weave them all into this poem.
The Agnostic’s Sunday
Every weekend she flits about,
running late as usual, trying
to decide what dress to wear –
not that one with the itchy lace –
and wolfing down a quick breakfast,
usually a slice of raisin toast
with a spiral of cinnamon baked in.
She will quickly pin up her hair,
not worry about the chipped polish
on that one nail, kiss me goodbye,
and barrel out the door. I’ll settle in
with the paper and coffee, knowing
that she’ll soon be in her pew,
summing up her life this week to God.
She will sing a few hymns, pray
to her favorite saints, go through
her mental list of loved ones
and say prayers for each of them,
and as if she thinks it would help,
save me for last.

No comments: