Tuesday, April 18, 2017

PAD Day 18: In Which I Finally Get a Little Political

Today's dual prompts from Poetic Asides and NaPoWriMo: (1) write a poem about life and/or death, and (2) write a poem with neologisms, Today's poem only has a passing connection to the first prompt, and I borrowed a few (unintentional) neologisms from the subject of my poem, as well as sticking in a couple of my own. This the first overtly political poem I've written this month. I have had a hard time digesting the events of the past six months, and my anger and depression have prevented any significant creative output until I got on a roll this month. Interestingly, most of my poems have had an element of humor. I still can't quite express the "dark side" of how I'm feeling about the state of our country and the world. Even this one is humorously satirical. You may not all agree with this one, but I hope you enjoy it.

Trumpericks

Though I'm wearing my hair rather wigly,
and acting male-chauvinist-pigly,
I've got a hot wife
and a filthy-rich life,
and I won the election quite “bigly”.

My "yuge" win  is "unpresidented",
a fact "leightweight chockers" resented,
and I "schlonged" Hillary.
Now I "hear by" decree:
get those aliens un-residented.

Christian Right thinks that I am a star,
‘cos I said I’m pro-life, like they are,
even though I’m the man went
and broke each commandment –
Two Corinthians walk into a bar….

That climate change stuff’s just a plot
that China cooked up, so it’s not
getting warmer in here,
it’s just perfectly clear -
coal and oil will still keep burning hot!

So what if I want to bomb Syria?
Just cool it with all your hysteria!
My belligerent patter's
not a life-or-death matter -
well, maybe it's old-age deliria.

Now that mad North Korea dictator
wants to make our great country a crater.
Well, it’s time to get tough,
I know things may get rough –
if the fallout does clear, thank me later.

1 comment:

Madeleine Begun Kane said...

LOL! Fun verse, which I'm betting was therapeutic BIGLY!