Tuesday, April 14, 2020

PAD Day 14: Paging Dr. Bill

Today's prompts from Poetic Asides and NaPoWriMo: (1) write a form poem and/or an "anti-form" poem, and (2) "write a poem that deals with the poems, poets, and other people who inspired you to write poems. "  I've written on previous occasions about one of my favorite poets, William Carlos Williams (or "Dr. Bill" as I like to call him - he was a family physician). He was a big influence when I wrote poetry in college. Williams also created a modern form called the "variable foot", which is rather elusive to define, but is characterized by a staggered or step-like three-line unit on the page, each line broken up generally in beats or breaths. You could even call it a sort of "anti-form" - a semi-structured reaction to the strict forms of classic or romantic poetry. Anyway, here is my take on it:



WCW Redux

So here I am
                again, Dr. Bill
                                singing your praises
like you sang about
                asphodel,
                                that greeny flower,
or red wheelbarrows,
                Breughel's peasants,
                                refrigerated plums.
You kept your day job
                but still had time to
                                change the poetry world
and turned the heads of
                malleable young students
                                                like me.
You invented
                the variable foot,
                                that elusive animal
that trips
                down the page
                                like a mountain goat
or drips down it
                like the cascading
                                                Paterson Falls.                  
I don't know if
                I have it right,   
                                but maybe there's no                   
right or wrong to it.
                So here's to you,
                                who taught me I could
have a  life and still
                bother the world
                                with poetry.


2 comments:

Leenie said...

This is just to say--Well done! WCW is a good muse anytime. I've even painted and sold paintings inspired by his works.
P.S. I've eaten all the plums.

Bruce Niedt said...

Were they delicious? Thanks for reading!