Thursday, April 2, 2020

PAD Day 2: A Safe Space

Today's prompts from Poetic Asides and NaPoWriMo: (1) write a "space" poem, and (2) "write a poem about a specific place —  a particular house or store or school or office. Try to incorporate concrete details, like street names, distances ('three and a half blocks from the post office'), the types of trees or flowers, the color of the shirts on the people you remember there."
These two prompts meshed pretty well today, and the obvious response would have to be reflective of the sheltered times we are going through right now. This is about one of the safer places I feel these days, other than home.



Civic

A round rubber foundation that moves
with a simple key turn, a shift of a lever
and a pump on a pedal.
My new safe space. Not living in it,
but in a sense, living through it.

No crowds in here, few germs (I pray)
and a decent sound system.
The dark gray dashboard is fuzzy
with a film of dust, and random papers
litter the floor, but it's my mess.

I'm not too far from anything here -
my favorite takeout is 1.6 miles
down the road. They open their window,
and I open mine, the bagged transfer
of victuals - minimum contact.

A turbaned guy pumps my gas
(Jersey is still full-service),
and we pass my card back and forth.
If I have to exit this steel-glass bubble,
I don my gloves and mask,

stay a person-length away from anyone
avoid chit-chat, get my necessities,
and walk out into an invisible haze
of particles that look like tiny golf balls
studded with tees.

Many, but fewer, of us are moving like this,
self-isolation on the highway, keeping
a safe distance, just as they always told us
in Driver's Ed, so we don't crash
into one another and die.



1 comment:

Vince Gotera said...

Excellent details throughout! Very sensory. Send it out!