Monday, April 9, 2018

PAD Day 9: Battle of Large vs. Small

Today's dual prompts from Poetic Asides and NaPoWriMo: (1) write a poem with the title "Battle ______", and (2) write a poem in which "something big and something small come together". This isn't the first time I've written about my household nemesis, the ant, and it probably won't be the last.



Battle of the Kitchen

I've brought in the WMDs for a frontal assault
on the advancing line toward my cupboard.

They will not take my provisions.
They will not overrun the countertops.
They shall not pass.

I drove them back from the sugar
but now they're attacking the cereal
and raisins. I need to outflank them
with poisonous buttons and spray,
or even that homemade concoction
of powdered sugar and boric acid.

At first I feel  no remorse for my use
of chemical weapons in this campaign.
This is my domain, dammit, and they
are the invaders. There's no U.N. for ants.

But I must admit there's the smallest pang
of guilt when I seen dozens or hundreds
of tiny black bodies lifeless on the shelves.

I wonder how different it feels from
a bombardier looking through his sights
at everything and everyone
he has just destroyed below.



No comments: