Saturday, April 28, 2018

PAD Day 28: A Post Card to St. Thomas

Today's dual prompts from Poetic Asides and NaPoWriMo: (1) write a poem with the title "______ Wave", and (2) write a "post card" poem.  I've done the latter prompt several times, as part of The Winter Getaway Writing Conference run by Peter Murphy every year.  One of the poems I wrote, "Postcard to the Ex", was published in U.S. 1 Worksheets and nominated by them for a Pushcart Prize. 

I keep thinking about my wonderful vacation last February in St. Thomas, and all the terrible damage they suffered as the result of two hurricanes last fall - they were hit nearly as hard as Puerto Rico, and their economy is floundering as a result. I sent a donation for relief, but wish I could do more to give back for their hospitality and the beauty of their island. So here's my post card to them:


Long-distance Wave

Dear St. Thomas,

I still remember our time together,
all white sand and crystal blue waters,
palms swaying in the trade winds,
a week of getting away from my troubles.

Now you have troubles of your own,
after the horrible storms,
your houses a sea of blue tarps
where roofs used to be,
hospitals, schools and lives damaged.

I've sent what I can afford,
and I'll be back some day,
because I know how much
you depend on a traveler like me.
Wish I was there.

For now, all I can offer is a wave
of love from my part of the ocean,
which I hope will ripple down
and lap on your beautiful shores.

1 comment:

Vince Gotera said...

Nicely done. The "blue tarps" image is both beautiful and heartbreaking.

You might like what I did for the 28th ... an actual postcard look.