Thursday, April 26, 2018

PAD Day 26: Love in Bloom

Today's dual prompts from Poetic Asides and NaPoWriMo: (1) write a "relationship" poem, and (2) write a poem that uses all five senses.  That latter one is pretty familiar, but it always tends to produce good results. Today I wrote a "haiku sonnet" - its origins are unclear, though my poet friend Vince Gotera claims to have invented it. (It's very likely as he is the inventive type. He's doing daily poems too - check out his blog here.). It's basically just a 14-line poem like a sonnet, though there the similarity mostly ends. The poem is written with four tercets, each with the standard 5-7-5 syllable count of a haiku, and the last two lines are seven syllables each, as a tanka would have. I used a love theme, like a sonnet, and a nature theme, like a haiku. As far as a "relationship" poem goes, the speaker has a relationship of sorts with... well, you'll see.



Nectar

stars are fading in
with dusk, pink light in the west
birds in evensong

you've returned again -
your scent sweetens the darkness
I follow my nose

you have dressed for spring -
a silky, petaled gown that
I stroke with my thumb

plucking a blossom
from your stem, I bite the tip
suck out the nectar

honeysuckle, you're my love
and I am your butterfly


1 comment:

Vince Gotera said...

Lovely poem, Bruce. I really like the line "birds in evensong." Thanks for sending readers to my blog.