Sunday, April 15, 2018

PAD Day 15: I Know All the Best Words


Today's dual prompts from Poetic Asides and NaPoWriMo: (1) write a "metaphor" poem, and (2) "write a poem in which a villain faces an unfortunate situation, and is revealed to be human (but still evil)." This is political and a bit heavy-handed, and the metaphor is rather obvious, but I offer it for what it's worth.


Vader Redux

They all hate me, that Rebel Alliance,
those troublemakers in their X-wing fighters.
They don’t want me to build the Death Star,
my greatest idea. It’s huge, the size of a moon,
a deterrent, a barrier, a wall if you will,
against alien insurgents, rapists and murderers.
I mean, what’s the point of a Death Star
If you can’t use it? They hate my storm troopers too,
good people, just misunderstood. I want a parade
with the greatest show of force this empire
has ever seen. They’ll all salute me.
I know more than the generals anyway.
Maybe I didn’t have a chance to play
Clone Wars with storm trooper figures as a kid.
Maybe my dad didn’t give me enough attention,
and when he did, he criticized me without mercy.
But none of that matters now. I’m at the top
of the heap. They all fear my imposing presence -
the mask, the black cloak, the full head of hair.
I can choke any of them with a single thought,
and my light saber is the biggest, in my normal-sized hands.
That lyin’ Kenobi learned the hard way.
Just you wait - I’ll Make the Empire Great Again!

5 comments:

Shannon Blood said...

I'm choking, guffawing and eating at the same time! Post a warning, man! LOL!

judydykstrabrown.com said...

Scary, huh, these adolescent minds given the power they've been given???

Angela van Son said...

Ha! May I share this on my Facebook page? I love it!

Angela van Son said...

Thanks! I think I know many people who'll love it! I've also linked up to it in my blog post today: https://unassortedstories.wordpress.com/2018/04/17/death-by-poetry/

Vince Gotera said...

Love it! But the hands are yuge! Yugest!