Wednesday, April 11, 2018

PAD Day 11: Patching Potholes

Today's dual prompts from Poetic Asides and NaPoWriMo: (1) write a "warning" poem, and (2) write  "a poem that addresses the future, answering the questions 'What does y(our) future provide? What is your future state of mind? If you are a citizen of the “union” that is your body, what is your future “state of the union” address?'" Here's my first take on that:



Note to Future Highway Self

Warning:
Infrastructure problems ahead.
You will become more high-maintenance
in years to come. You will damage yourself
without even trying. Potholes will spring up
out of nowhere. Your concrete supports
will start to crumble. Be sure you have
a good road crew, and adequate funds
to keep the drive as smooth as possible.
There will be detours, for sure,
a road closing or two, but in the end,
we hope you have a pleasant journey
overall, till you take that final exit
into whatever utopia you've imagined.

4 comments:

Ron. said...


Oh my freakin word! This older-ing me hears this one loud & clear. This ain't about my future, man; this is my crumbling, pot-holed aging infrastructure NOW. Seems like my private journal work is more and more about this than anything else these days. More than a couple have been published. Here's one:
http://eggsovertokyo.blogspot.com/2018/02/levels.html


You have nailed it!!!

Unknown said...

Very good. I enjoyed this. Thanks for writing.

lillianthehomepoet.wordpress.com said...

Good extended metaphor here. Yep -- potholes do show up....I think the key is to insure we keep the springs and shock absorbers oiled. :)

Angela van Son said...

I know I'm repeating myself, but... I love it! I like the idea of a warning to my future self, maybe I can get the prompt to work for me that way. I'm stuck on the original version.