Tuesday, April 11, 2023

PAD Day 11, Again: Inauspicious Meeting

 Okay, I finally responded to Maureen's prompt for NaPoWriMo. I indirectly followed the prompt by taking one of the lines from Naomi Shihab Nye's poem "One Boy Told Me" as an epigram and jumping from that to a true story about my encounter with her. 

Knocking Over Something
 
It is hard being a person.
- Naomi Shihab Nye, "One Boy Told Me"
 
Dear Naomi,
I never properly apologized
for the day I sat next to you
at the Princeton Poetry Festival
and knocked over your tote bag
full of papers and books.
Yeah, that was me.
 
I'm sure I mumbled, "Sorry,"
but you were rightfully annoyed
and probably didn't hear me
as you gathered your things
and sat silently next to me at the reading.
It was a hell of a way
to meet someone famous.
 
But I love your work, including the poem
I cited above. That little boy is right—
it's hard to be a person.
Too often I knock over something,
make the wrong turn,
miss an appointment,
anger someone I admire.
But we are all only human.
So forgive me if you can,
and I will be diligent enough
to forgive myself.

2 comments:

Vince Gotera said...

Bruce: very cool. You should send this poem to Naomi Shihab Nye. Maybe in a letter rather than an email. That way, it would become a real apology!

judydykstrabrown.com said...

I'm sure she would love it. Do it!!! If the only way to get comments is via email, please use jubob2@hotmail.com and not jubob47@gmail.com