Sunday, April 30, 2023

PAD Day 30: Finish Line!

 Today's prompts from Write Better Poetry and NaPoWriMo: (1) Write a "surprise" poem, and (2) "write a palinode – a poem in which you retract a view or sentiment expressed in an earlier poem."

I've done the latter exercise several times over the years, but I never knew the name for it - "palinode." I feel like I should go out with a "bang" today, but instead I'm writing a short response to a short poem I wrote on Day 3 for the Write Better Poetry prompt (write a "connection" poem).  Here's the original:

Disconnected
 
You call and leave a message
that she has passed away.
 
Maybe I'll call you back.
You have my sympathy,
but not my grief.
 
You broke that connection
years ago.


And here is my "sequel":


 Connected
 
I call you to make sure 
you got my card and you're all right.
 
To my surprise, we talk for an hour.
I've been thinking about her,
and we share funny stories and laugh.
 
Last time I called you were breaking up.
Today we have a better connection.


Maybe I have one more little poem in me today, a hay(na)ku:

NaPoWriMo -
every April
I surprise myself


Thanks to everyone who read and commented on my poems on this blog and elsewhere online this month. As always, I regret not being able to comment more on others' poems, but I did enjoy reading them and left comments when I could. I'll be back soon with my usual April summary.

2 comments:

Vince Gotera said...

What a great palinode. Great turn-around. Congrats on a successful PAD month!

Manja Mexi said...

Hi Bruce,

I decided to make four centos out of our final Day 30 lines. I used all last 96 poems written in April as linked to the official NaPoWriMo site. Today I posted the last of the four centos, the one with your lines. Please read it here:

https://manjameximexcessive6.wordpress.com/2023/05/27/four-april-centos-no-4/

Thank you kindly for your words.