Saturday, April 1, 2023

NoPoWriMo Begins!

 Here I go again, on my annual poetic journey, trying to write at least one poem a day for the month of April. As usual, I will take my daily inspiration from the prompts on Robert Lee Brewer's Write Better Poetry blog on the Writer's Digest website, as well as Maureen Thorson's NaPoWriMo blog (celebrating their 20th year this month.) I'm starting out rather rusty because I have written precious little so far this year, although I have been working on two chapbook manuscripts using my previous work. (We'll see what comes of those.) 

Maureen gave us a warm-up prompt yesterday, suggesting that we use the "Amazing Fact Generator" on the Mental Floss website for inspiration. Here's what I came up with:


Fun Fact, Language Division
 
We English speakers
use our adjectives
in a particular order.
 
It's an unconscious process
when we say them before a noun
and sort them out
 
by opinion, size, age,
shape, color, origin,
material and purpose.
 
That's all I have to share today,
so please excuse me
while I leave and put on
 
my hideous, large, ancient,
round brown Texas
leather cowboy
 
hat.



Today's prompts from both Write Better Poetry and NaPoWriMo are; (1) write a "foolish" poem, and (2) write a poem inspired by images in "The Art of Book Covers" in the Public Domain Review website.
I found the cover of an obscure children's fantasy book from the early 1900's and wrote this:


Folly 

sometimes
life just overwhelms
like a fool's errand
 
an elephant tethered
to a hot-air balloon
trying to reach the planets


As I said, I'm still scraping off the rust, and trying to balance a rather busy life these days with sneaking some time to write, but the poetry output should start to improve in the coming days. 

1 comment:

Vince Gotera said...

Great start! I almost chose that cover with the elephant. Good job on the poem!